SHATTERED: Amanda Sibraa and her daughter Soraya, at the tribute site of their son and brother Bailey Sibraa. The council removed the tributes yesterday morning, shattering the family. They've since returned the tributes, but the family is worried it could happen again, and can't understand why they'd do that to grieving friends and family in the first place.
SHATTERED: Amanda Sibraa and her daughter Soraya, at the tribute site of their son and brother Bailey Sibraa. The council removed the tributes yesterday morning, shattering the family. They've since returned the tributes, but the family is worried it could happen again, and can't understand why they'd do that to grieving friends and family in the first place. Warren Lynam

'Council put my dead son's tribute in the bin'

THE heartbroken parents of teenager Bailey Sibraa who was killed in an horrific crash on Point Cartwright Dr, have pleaded with the council not to torture them again.

Bailey's mum, Amanda, had to leave work on Tuesday morning, too distraught after being told Sunshine Coast Council workers had removed tributes from the scene where Bailey died.

The 19-year-old was killed at the scene after the ute he was a passenger in crashed into trees at about 7.20pm on January 6.

While the council, through Division 4 Councillor John Connolly, had established a plaque at the Point Cartwright lookout, something his parents were "extremely grateful" for, another tribute with personal effects and memorabilia had been established at the crash site.

It's a place family and friends gather regularly to have a quiet beer, or connect with the young man, where he spent his final moments.

Mr and Mrs Sibraa were shattered on Tuesday morning when they learned that council workers were removing the tributes at the crash site, five months to the day that their son died.

"It literally felt like it had happened all over again," Mrs Sibraa said.

"There's sentimental things there to friends and family."

The couple said they'd received no warning from the council, or a courtesy call to let them know, before the tribute was removed.

Mr Sibraa said when he asked where the tributes had been taken he was told they were probably "all gone by now", understanding they'd been thrown away.

"This is as raw today as the day it happened," he said.

"I don't understand how people can put a timeline on this.

"I find it quite disturbing and I find it quite disgusting."

He said the tributes had since been returned, but no guarantee had been given that they would remain there.

"I'm very appreciative that they did put it back... but I would hope that it would never happen again," Mrs Sibraa said.

Cr Connolly said he'd spent a lot of time with the family and admitted there had been a misunderstanding, and the council staff weren't meant to remove all of the tributes.

"They were told not to take the surfboard away," Cr Connolly said.

"It was a misunderstanding."

He said the tributes had been returned within an hour and explained the crews had been sent to clean up the memorial site, as there had been some complaints of beer bottles and other issues, including cars parking dangerously near the site.

"There's no easy answer on this," Cr Connolly said.

Cr Connolly said there would be a cross at the site "forever and a day" and the council would "leave it (memorial)" now.

Mr Sibraa said he would speak with Bailey's friends about the issues raised by Cr Connolly.

Mrs Sibraa said they visited the site regularly and there'd been no recent rubbish left at the site.

"Obviously we don't want it to be looking like a garbage site," she said.



BRIGHT FUTURE: Rocky airport to go sky high

BRIGHT FUTURE: Rocky airport to go sky high

Discussions are being held with international airlines and airports.

Rider knocked out after coming off motorbike

Rider knocked out after coming off motorbike

Emergency services attended the scene

Local Partners