Council to splash $1.5m on much-needed upgrades
COUNCIL were looking for 'bang for their buck' when they decided where to splash $1.5 million.
The State Government's Works for Queensland Program have allocated the Rockhampton Regional Council a $1,576,439.
They urged council make a $4 million wish list should other local government areas not spend their full allocation, or if funding opportunities became available in coming months.
"Yes, we can," mayor Margaret Strelow said of council's spending in Tuesday's ordinary meeting.
"In a way credit to us having our ducks in a row we are able to come through and say these are the things we want to do."
After lengthy discussion, Mount Archer and the Rockhampton Zoo came out as the top benefactors with $300,000 each.
Pending safety requirements, the Rockhampton Showground People's Bar will receive a $270,689 deck.
Cr Strelow urged council look at job and work assist programs to help complete the projects.
- Schotia Place air conditioning: $250K
- Welfare House Mount Morgan: $153K
- Muellerville Walk: $94,500
- Toilets at Mount Morgan skate park: $80K
- North Rockhampton Library: $80K
- Child Care Centre paint job: $18,250
- Rockhampton Showgrounds (total projects):
- Toilet block near Kennel Clut: $200K
- Walter Pierce Pabillion: $28K
- Robert Schwarten Pavillion $225K
- Agricultural Pavillion and Kele Pavilion: $25K
- Agricultural Hall: $53K
- Exhibition Pavillion: $80,900
- Horticultural Pavillion: $36K
- Poultry Pavillion: $30K
- Kennel display area: $45K
- Mount Morgan School of Arts: $$173K
- Mout Morgan Youth Centre: $30K
- Mount Morgan Showground: $76K
- Mount Morgan squash courts: $17K
- Mount Morgan pool grandstand: $55K
- Woodworker's Guild: $53K
- Walter Reid Culutural Centre Lift: $350K
- Japanese Gardens shade shelter: $42K
- Pilbeam Theatre: $65K
- Pathway between theatre and gallery: $53,600
- Rockhampton Regional Library: $$70K
- Mount Morgan Library: $50K
- Elfin House: $75K
- Saleyards Park amenities Multi-sport facility: $20K
- BMX Club toilets: $200K
- St John's Ambulance, Glenmore Rd: $50K
- Square Dance Hall, Kingel Park: $80K
- Athelstane Bowls Club: $52K
- Park Avenue CQWA Hall: $47K
- Queens Park toilet block: $38K