Menu
News

Council to start again on proposal

AFTER months of frenzied argument about rights being stripped away, councillors yesterday voted overwhelmingly to start again with the potential rezoning of land at Gracemere.

They supported a motion to effectively withdraw the controversial Temporary Local Planning Instrument for 50 blocks of land in the disputed Precinct K.

The Queensland Government will be told the council will resubmit after a proper period of consultation with residents as it sought to satisfy all parties.

For more than an hour yesterday, in a debate which was often prickly, councillors vented their frustrations about what had gone wrong with a process that resulted in a messy and hasty backdown.

Cr Cherie Rutherford alleged councillors were not properly informed about the TLPI when they agreed to apply for one and did not understand that it would prevent consultation and remove the rights of residents to raise objections.

And she said there were a number of companies operating illegally in the disputed area and the issue had to be addressed rather than ignored.

Mayor Brad Carter, who last week decided not to seek immediate ratification of the TLPI, said he believed that there had been a deliberate campaign of mischievous and misleading information.

Some residents had been told, wrongly, that their houses would be taken away.

Leaflets had been circulated containing false statements, he said.

But almost every councillor who spoke said the process had been flawed.

Topics:  councillors gracemere rezoning



Cannabis plants found during search for Rocky prison escapee

FILE IMAGE

Police had attended a Wood St home looking for Jermaine Anderson.

Wet week: Days of rain expected to hit parts of CQ

Weather outlook for the five days in Central Queensland.

CLOUDS expected to roll in tomorrow and stay all week

National school walkout planned to protest gun violence

Enough: National School Walkout, March 14

The event is being organised by the people behind the Women's March

Local Partners