Court date became catch of the day for Rocky barrage anglers
TWO fishermen landed themselves in court when they chose the wrong place to sink a line.
Steven Terrence Bennett and Jamie Steven Gunton pleaded guilty in the Rockhampton Magistrates Court to trespassing at the Fitzroy River Barrage.
Police prosecutor Senior Constable Shaun Janes said the pair were fishing about 50m away from the barrage flood gates in Pattison St on April 5.
Snr Const Janes said 58-year-old Bennett told officers he hadn't seen any signs declaring the land off-limits, although he was aware of an alarm sounding.
Defence solicitor Mark Platt said Bennett had already received a $471 fine from the fisheries department in relation to the offence.
He said Gunton believed he could fish in the area as he was a member of a particular tagging group.
However, Magistrate Jeffrey Clarke said it should have been "abundantly clear" the pair weren't meant to be fishing in that spot.
Bennett was convicted and fined $150.
Gunton was fined $100, but no conviction was recorded.