WATCH: What's Your Beef? crowd moooved by food
ROCKHAMPTON residents have only sampled the Wholly Cow entree and already they're calling for seconds.
The month-long celebration kicked off with What's Your Beef? at Huish Dr yesterday, where hundreds gathered to taste the best beef cuisine from the region's top chefs.
From oxtail dumplings to deconstructed cheeseburgers, there was something on offer for everyone.
Bianca Lee was out celebrating a friend's birthday and said she was impressed by the event.
"The food's been amazing, the drinks have been fast out so it's been great," she said.
"I think we should do more things like this in Rocky. It gets all the families out for a good day."
Wholly Cow is centred on everything beef with classes, festivals and specialty meals at the region's participating restaurants.
Crowds were entertained by cooking demonstrations from celebrity chef Laura Cassai from Masterchef Australia, as well as local stallholders.
Rockhampton Regional Council promotions manager Sarah Reeves said roughly 450 people enjoyed What's Your Beef, with attendance capped at 500.
"The caterers and pop-up restaurants that came on board just really understood what we were trying to achieve," she said.
Chef and owner of Lickity Fingers Catering Joe Prout said he was surprised by the large number of people who turned out for the event.
Joe said this kind of event was a good way for small businesses to market themselves to a new range of people.
He hopes to see similar events in the future.
Wholly Cow - What's On
- World Beer and BBQ Festival at the Great Western Hotel on May 7 from 11am, $5 entry
- Pranzo Manzo with My Kitchen Rules winners Dan and Steph on Sunday, May 15 from 11am to 3pm at a secret location. Tickets $80 for adults, children $5
- Chef's Table Beef Degustation at Cloud 9 Gourmet Heaven from 7pm on May 14 and 27
- Kobe Wagyu and Shiraz at Mount Morgan's Grand Hotel from 11.30am to 2pm on Sunday, May 22. Cost, $40
- Baffle Creek Beer and Beef food pairings at The Workshop on Sunday, May 29 from 1pm to 4pm