Cruel attack on Harry and Meghan blasted
Piers Morgan has been slammed for his "mean spirited" response to Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's pregnancy announcement.
The Duke and Duchess released a black-and-white photo to announce they are expecting their second child.
But Morgan, who hosts Good Morning Britain, was not a fan. The UK TV personality called the couple's pregnancy photo "cheesy" and suggested it was hypocritical for them to release a public statement given they've fought so hard for privacy.
BREAKING: Harry & Meghan have announced they’re pregnant and released this cheesy photo of themselves to ensure the media gives the story about their private life more prominence - in their latest courageous effort to stop the same media focusing on their private life. 👇 pic.twitter.com/wEmpDtrWBG— Piers Morgan (@piersmorgan) February 14, 2021
"I don't get the anger. We all 'release' pictures and information whether famous or not, that's in our control," tweeted Sean Gallacher. "'Private' life is what they don't want to share and that has at times been compromised. I'm not interested in this news or them, but attacking them now feels mean spirited."
Other responses included:
• "BREAKING: Piers Morgan tries to police how a happy - and expecting - couple live their lives. People worry about when his obsession with the Duke and Duchess of Sussex will stop," tweeted Benjamin Smith.
• "'Congratulations' would have done it, Piers," tweeted Rebecca Hutchison.
• "Here's a guy whose mother was hounded to her death by our tabloids. We watched as he walked behind her coffin. He goes on to eventually find happiness and now the same tabloids are vilifying him and his wife because they've chosen to remove themselves from royal life," tweeted another person.
• "The difference is they are only telling the public what they want us to know therefore keeping the things they want private private, which is their absolute right. Can't you just be happy for them Piers," tweeted Loretta Hill.
• "Aw give it a rest Piers, she lost a baby, this is good news, and it'd be pretty hard to keep it quiet. No fan of Royals but baby news is always good news to share IMO," another wrote.
Some did agree with Morgan's comment though.
• "100% true. They want a private life - when it suits them," Rory Haczewski wrote. "It's always good news when a couple announce a pregnancy. But so much for wanting privacy."
• Chris Pritchard tweeted: "For a couple that wanted to be so private, announcing a baby to the world doesn't exactly scream privacy to me."
• Another tweeted: "They want to have a private life. Then send a press release to tell the world they are both having another child. Sure are confusing everyone."
Meghan and Harry also paid a subtle tribute to the late Princess Diana when announcing the pregnancy.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex released the statement today - Valentine's Day in the US - and on this day in 1984, Princess Diana announced she was expecting her second child.
While the pair didn't mention the significance of the date in their statement, it is a safe guess the timing was no coincidence.
Originally published as Cruel attack on Harry and Meghan blasted