CHARRED: The garage was gutted by Saturday night’s fire.
CHARRED: The garage was gutted by Saturday night’s fire. Samantha Oneil

Cruel twist of fate as family loses home in devastating fire

THEY say lightning doesn't struck twice but for one Warwick family it has, with a devastating house fire following the tragic loss of their six-year-old daughter in January this year.

The family escaped unharmed but the home is unliveable because of major damage.

Ray White Rural Warwick principal Peter Lane confirmed the agency was negotiating alternative accommodation for the tenants.

A spokeswoman from Queensland Fire and Emergency Services said the investigation had determined the fire was accidental.

"The fire was caused by a radio-controlled car battery that was charging in the garage," she said.

The extreme heat and water has damaged some of the tenants' property, with water also entering the two neighbouring homes.

A concerned resident said the family may be in need of assistance, with shopping vouchers being the most convenient to be used for the replacement of food, kitchen items and some clothes. "If everyone dropped in even a couple of dollars I'm sure it would help," the woman said.

Principal Peter Lane said they were happy to accept donations for the family.

"They are great people who have been going through the very expensive process of applying for permanent residency in Australia," property manager Andrew Dunn said.

Mr Dunn said the family's church had also been of great assistance to them.



Clermont cowboy prepares for Rocky PBR

premium_icon Clermont cowboy prepares for Rocky PBR

AARON Kleier hopes CQ event could help achieve his national dream

RGS tennis team crowned Country Champions

premium_icon RGS tennis team crowned Country Champions

RGS places 5th in the state for secondary schools state tournament

Investigations into mystery motel death continue

premium_icon Investigations into mystery motel death continue

A 35 year-old Yeppoon man was found dead in motel last month

Local Partners