Man told a cyclone was no excuse for bad driving
BLAMING his aggressive driving on Cyclone Marcia was never going to bode well in Magistrate Michael O'Driscoll's court.
On February 22, two days after the cyclone smashed the region, Paul Anthony Mitchell was seen by police driving aggressively at the Dean and High Sts intersection in Rockhampton.
The traffic lights had been out due to no power in town and the 29-year-old was seen speeding around the corner.
The court heard that Mitchell told police he was stressed out because he had no power after the cyclone.
Mitchell also said that a car at the intersection didn't give way to him so he decided to speed around it.
Mr O'Driscoll told him that he wasn't impressed and that everyone had to deal with different issues throughout the cyclone.
The defence stated that without traffic lights, Mitchell had to make a decision at the intersection when the car on his left didn't appear to be moving.
The defence said it was a case of indecision. Mr O'Driscoll told the court the other driver could have been acting extra cautious in the circumstance, while Mitchell decided to drive aggressively.
The defence asked for Mitchell's licence not to be disqualified, as he relied on it to get to and from work; however he was banned from driving for one month.
He was also fined $500.