The year's state death toll rises to a devastating 196
THE 71-YEAR-OLD man who died in a single-vehicle crash south of Miriam Vale at the weekend was Mackay local Christopher Hazell, police have said.
His death takes this year's road toll in Queensland to 196.
The crash happened 15km south of the town on the Bruce Hwy at 1.15pm on Saturday, near Colosseum.
The Forensic Crash Unit is now investigating the crash but preliminary inquiries suggest Mr Hazell's ute initially left the road on the left hand side before he appeared to overcorrect and the car rolled over once.Colosseum resident Denise Cole said she wasn't surprised there had been another fatality on that stretch of the Bruce Hwy.
"The roads are pretty shocking around here. Someone needs to get their act together," she said.
But Sue Thorne from Miriam Vale didn't think the road was to blame.
"The road south of here is actually really good and I don't think it's bad enough to cause people to crash," she said. "It's a big job to fix the roads because of the amount of rain we get but as long as people drive to the conditions, they should be fine."
A SPOKESPERSON for Federal Infrastructure Minister Warren Truss said the Federal government had budgeted about $6.7 billion to fix the Bruce Hwy alone.
They also budgeted about $1 billion on black spot repairs and $50 million on the National Highway Upgrade Program.