Mark Mizzi faces a charge of manslaughter over his half-brother’s death.
Mark Mizzi faces a charge of manslaughter over his half-brother’s death. File

Doll 'the cause of fatal fight'

ROCKHAMPTON'S Mark Anthony Mizzi attacked his half-brother Shane Forno after a festive season flare-up over his daughter's doll, a court heard yesterday.

Mr Forno, 51, died at Rockhampton Hospital in the early hours of Boxing Day after striking his head on the tile floor.

Police allege he fell after he was punched and kicked several times by Mizzi, 40.

The pair, who have the same mother, had been celebrating Christmas Day at Mr Forno's North Rockhampton unit on Hook St when they started arguing about 12.30am on Boxing Day.

Police allege their differences started when Mr Forno made a "joke" comment about a doll that had been given to one of Mizzi's young daughters.

Mr Forno had attempted to use a saucepan to shield himself from the advancing Mizzi, police said.

Yesterday Mizzi, who has been charged with manslaughter, was refused bail in Rockhampton Magistrates Court.

Magistrate Annette Hennessy accepted prosecution objections that Mizzi was an unacceptable risk of further offending, and in particular, interfering with witnesses.

Mizzi is currently on parole after being sentenced to a suspended 15-month jail term in the Rockhampton District Court in October for assault occasioning bodily harm.

Police prosecutor Constable Paige Barrow said Mizzi told police he had consumed a number of alcoholic drinks, but was in control.

Const Barrow said Mr Forno weighed less than half of Mizzi.

She said after the victim hit his head on the ground, Mizzi knelt beside him, started administering CPR and said he would be in trouble if the police knew what happened.

It's alleged he told an ambulance officer who arrived soon afterwards that he and Mr Forno had just reconciled after an altercation in which he hit the elder man.

However, Const Barrow said when Mizzi later spoke to police he denied hitting the victim or saying he had done so to the ambulance officer.

She said police witnesses included Mr Forno's wheelchair-bound partner, who witnessed the alleged attack.

Defence solicitor Lance Rundle said Mizzi was the primary carer for his two daughters, aged eight and six.

He said Mizzi was on a disability support pension having suffered four compressed discs in his lower back.

The matter has been adjourned for a committal mention on Wednesday, February 22.



NEW pics: Family 'lost everything' in Cap Coast house fire

premium_icon NEW pics: Family 'lost everything' in Cap Coast house fire

PHOTOS: Witness says they woke to what sounded like 'fire crackers'

Near-freezing temps and falls up to 10mm in CQ this week

premium_icon Near-freezing temps and falls up to 10mm in CQ this week

FROST and thunderstorms expected to hit region late this week

VOTE: PM under pressure as leadership crisis deepens

VOTE: PM under pressure as leadership crisis deepens

HAVE YOUR SAY: Who do you prefer to lead the country?

Local Partners