Domestic Violence spikes in Cyclone Marcia’s wake
AS THE number of houses damaged by Cyclone Marcia grew, so too did the number of domestic violence incidents.
In the two weeks following the natural disaster, police recorded a spike in callouts to domestic violence incidents.
In North Rockhampton alone, the figure doubled in comparison to the same two weeks last year.
Acting Sergeant Kellie Moss said the stress of life post-cyclone, mixed with the inability to work, isolation and financial stress, could be behind the jump in incidents.
Yet these figures aren't in isolation.
More on this special feature - Terror At Home
Act Sgt Moss said Central Region, which includes Mackay, Capricornia and Wide Bay Burnett areas, had "considerably higher statistics and calls for domestic violence incidents".
She said while the statistics were initially alarming, police also saw it as positive, with a higher rate of reporting and awareness in the community.
"People are willing to report it as opposed to ignoring it or accepting it."
Act Sgt Moss said domestic violence was happening multiple times daily and was more than just physical abuse.
"Although police attend a lot of domestic assaults and severe damage to property, people should be aware that there is more to domestic violence than bruises and black eyes," she said.
Terror at home
Police recorded more than 550 incidents since January 1, 2015
That includes over 202 reports for contravening or breaking a domestic violence order (DVO)
More than 121 DVOs applied for, over 95 made by police on behalf of a vulnerable person
About 93 arrests for breaches of DVOs
(Rockhampton / Gracemere statistics)