Donations pour in for Theodore
DONATIONS have poured in for the residents of Theodore, evacuated from their town when the flooded Dawson swamped the town just days after Christmas.
A donation day at Biloela SES saw four trucks loaded with a host of goods and sent to the Theodore evacuees in Moura.
Many were goods such ahs fridges and TVs that would be needed when they eventually return to the town, which is still inaccessible with the Dawson at
Banana Shire Mayor John Hooper said the response had been so massive that they were running out of storage space, with donations at Moura and Biloela packed into sheds and buildings.
Gladstone donations, from a host of businesses and individuals, have also been added to the mix.
Such has been the generosity of people he is asking for a halt to donations until Theodore residents can get back into the town.
People that want to help can still donate money, which may be the best way to help the Theodore evacuees now.
The Theodore community has started its own appeal, with a trust set up by a former resident who works as an accountant in Darwin.
Donations are being accepted on behalf of the Theodore Recovery Appeal Trust into Merit Partners Pty Ltd trust account: National Australia Bank BSB 085-933 Acc 565681026, with Theodore in the details field.
The state flood appeal has hit the $7 million mark
The Australian Red Cross has agreed to manage the fund on behalf of the Queensland Government, with the Government and Red Cross covering any administration costs.
Premier Bligh has called an emergency Cabinet meeting in response to Queensland's flood crisis.
The Premier has re-called Ministers from leave and an emergency Cabinet meeting will be held on Wednesday.
The Premier said the damage bill when the flood waters finally receded would be enormous.
"Obviously we won't have a true picture of the extent of the damage until the flood waters recede and the clean up begins but in state owned infrastructure alone, such as roads, rail and schools, we are looking at a bill that could well run into the billions.
"This doesn't include the damage to crops, and of course the heart-breaking damage to personal property.
Ms Bligh welcomed the Commonwealth's announcement today it would provide additional assistance ($1000 per adult and $400 per child) for people significantly affected by the floods.
Ms Bligh said today's announcement by the Commonwealth would build on the existing assistance already available for people in flood affected areas provided jointly by the State and Commonwealth governments, including:
• Personal Hardship Assistance grants of $170 per person, up to a maximum of $850 for a family of five or more, are available to people experiencing hardship to meet the cost of essentials like food, clothing, medical supplies and accommodation.
• The Essential Household Contents Grant provides assistance of up to $1640 for individuals and $4980 for families to help with the cost of replacing items like fridges and other essential household items.
• Structural Assistance Grants of up to $10500 for individuals and $14200 for families a re available to help repair uninsured owner-occupied homes.
People who are experiencing personal hardship due to the flooding should contact the Department of Communities on 1800 173 349 or visit www.communities.qld.gov.au.
To donate to the Premier's Disaster Relief Appeal go to www.qld.gov.au/floods.