Coast man charged after streets shut down in siege
UPDATE: A Buderim man will face court on Wednesday after allegedly threatening violence during a tense siege which shut down Sunshine Coast streets.
It will be alleged at about 5.45pm a man was returning to his unit on Goshawk Boulevard when he was threatened by another man with what was believed to be a firearm.
Police attended and made and emergency declaration at 6.30pm and began negotiating with the man.
It will be alleged at 9.15pm the man set fire to a chair on the balcony which subsequently burnt itself out.
The man surrendered to police and the declaration was revoked at 10.45pm.
Policer said no one was physically injured during the incident.
A 45-year-old man has been charged with one count of threatening violence and two counts of assault police and is expected to appear at the Maroochydore Magistrates Court February 8.
UPDATE 10.50PM: THE man has been taken into custody by police.
UPDATE: MOST residents have now been allowed to return home as police have established the man involved in a siege in Buderim is not armed with a gun - as was first thought.
Inspector Michael Miley said police had been able to establish the man was not armed and were hoping for the situation to be resolved peacefully.
Earlier the man tried to set fire to what is believed to have been a blanket on the balcony of the property involved.
Police first tried to put the fire out with a garden hose then a firetruck was called to the scene and the small blaze was put out.
The firetruck remains parked at the front of the home involved,
"We are just thanking everyone for assisting us and we know it is a very large inconvenience but we are just hoping we can get the gentleman who is inside out safely," Insp Miley said.
About six police cars along with about a dozen officers and two police dogs remain on the scene.
A small crowd of local residents has gathered across the road.
EARLIER: TRAFFIC has been allowed to move again on Stringybark Rd although police are yet to confirm if the situation is resolved.
EARLIER: THE Queensland Fire Service has sent a truck to scene as police confirm the man involved started a fire on the back patio of the property where he has holed up.
A police spokesman said the latest report from officers closest to the property was that the fire was now out and that it was extinguished without intervention from authorities.
EARLIER: MANY residents have been waiting for more than an hour to return home this evening as police have blockaded a number of streets in Buderim.
About 6.30 this evening police declared an emergency situation and closed Stringybark Rd, Goshawk Blvd and Toral Drive.
Local residents David Bright and Chenlu Gian said police had been tell people to visit nearby family or friends.
"Which isn't the easiest thing for everyone to do," Mr Bright said.
The pair have been sitting in the back of a car since about 7.30pm.
A police spokesman said members of the public had reported seeing a man with a gun at the property involved in the incident.
It is understood the man has not made threats against any other person at this stage.
A fire engine just arrived on the scene with its siren ringing.
EARLIER: THREE Buderim streets remain shut down as of 8.35pm on Tuesday night, as police attempt to negotiate with an armed man holed up in a house on Goshawk Blvd.
Police warn that the man is thought to be armed with a variety of knives and potentially a firearm.
It is understood the man is in the house by himself.
Police negotiators are on the scene and have made contact with the man.
Stringybark Rd, Goshawk Blvd and Toral Drv have been closed after police declared an emergency situation at 6.30pm.
Police were first called to the house at 5.45pm.
Traffic is banked up at the perimeter of the closed off streets with one motorist saying he'd been waiting there since about 7.30pm.
"People are being told to visit family or relatives" David Bright said.
Emergency situation declared: Coast streets closed
POLICE say they have closed a number of streets in Buderim and declared an emergency situation amidst reports of an armed man making threats.
"Officers were called to an address on Goshawk Boulevard around 5.45pm following reports that a man was believed to be armed at a residence," police said via statement.
"A declaration was made under the Public Safety Preservation Act at 6.30pm and people are being asked to avoid the area near Stringybark Road, Goshawk Boulevard and Toral Drive.
"Officers remain at the scene and there is no further information available at this stage."