News

Family feud escalates to attack with axe and shovel

HE WANTED a fight, and that's what he got.

But he had no idea it would involve an axe and a shovel.

A Woorabinda man was knocked unconscious on Wednesday, after urging his son to take on two teens.

Prompted by an ongoing family feud, the father and son approached Charlie Stuart Lindsay Huskic, 17, and Damien Keripo Singho, 19, as they left the town post office about 11am.

Yesterday the Rockhampton Magistrates Court heard how a verbal altercation broke out, during which Singho was punched in the face.

Fearful for his friend, Huskic ran into a nearby store and grabbed an axe off the shelf. When he returned, he handed the 60cm-long weapon to Singho, who allegedly started swinging it around.

Police prosecutor Danita Clarke said Huskic went back into the store and retrieved a shovel.

He then chased the father down the street, before hitting him on the side of the head.

Ms Clarke said the victim fell unconscious to the ground. She said he suffered a 10cm-long cut as a result of the blow.

Police arrived and after a short foot chase arrested Huskic and Singho. Huskic pleaded guilty to assault occasioning bodily harm while armed, going armed in public to cause fear, obstructing police and two counts of stealing.

Solicitor Shayne Studdert told the court his client did not initiate the confrontation, but he did overreact.

"It was a two-sided event," Mr Studdert said.

Magistrate Cameron Press agreed, saying there was a significant element of provocation.

The court heard Huskic had no adult criminal record.

Mr Press sentenced Huskic to 12 months' jail with immediate parole, as well as two years' probation.

Meanwhile, Singho faced court charged with going armed in public to cause fear, serious assault of a person over 60 and obstructing police.

He did not enter a plea, but made an application for bail.

Ms Clarke argued Singho was an unacceptable risk of committing further offences, interfering with witnesses and endangering the public and himself.

However, Mr Press said he felt the risk could be managed by conditions.

He granted bail and the matter was adjourned.

Topics:  assault rockhampton magistrates court woorabinda



Dear Deputy PM, show us the Rookwood money: QLD Government

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull and Deputy Prime Minister Barnaby Joyce in Rockhampton last year to talk about infrastructure spending and the proposed Rookwood Weir.

Letter to the federal government was given exclusively to the Bully.

Yeppoon teenager making waves in sporting ranks

TOUGH COMPETITOR: Jack Newton competes in the Queensland Canoe Marathon Championships.

Jack Newton medals in two gruelling events in two days

Truckies stranded as popular North Rocky truck stop closed

CLOSED: Yaamba Road Caltex Truckstop was fenced off and closed for renovations today leaving motorists seeking other options.

Motorists scramble for alternative fueling up options.

Local Partners