Family heartbroken at pet poisoning
A PET can become an important family member, and it can be heartbreaking when one dies.
On Wednesday, September 23, the Judd family found their beloved dog Pippa dead, and believe she was baited. Grace and Mark live in Blackwater with their three daughters Gemma, Amy and Renee, who were home for school holidays.
The night before Pippa was upset and Mark went to check on her.
“I heard her bark and asked Mark to tie her up, after that she was fine,” said Grace.
“Then we let her off again at 6am.”
At 9.30am Amy and Renee went outside to feed their beloved Pippa, only to discover her dead body.
“We went down to feed her, we called her name and she didn't come so we knew something was wrong,” said Amy.
The girls then ran inside to tell their older sister Gemma and mother Grace.
“We all went outside and started crying,” said Amy.
Mark took Pippa to the vet, but it was too late. He then contacted police and the RSPCA, but was told there was very little that could be done.
The family was unsure how Pippa had died until later that day when Amy found a half-eaten meat pattie at the back of the yard. She found a second pattie the next day and were sure their beloved pet had been baited.
Grace and Mark said they could only assume the dog was killed because of a complaint made to council; one they were never informed of.
“If they had come to mention something we would have done something... it would have saved her life,” said Grace.
But Central Highlands Regional Council has no record of a complaint about Pippa in their system.
Senior compliance officer Robert Maher said the act of poisoning another person's pet was not an issue dealt with by council, but by police.
“It is an offence under the animal care and protection act,” he said.