FIREFIGTHERS are having difficulties controlling a vicious bushfire east of Rockhampton as residents are warned they may need to evacuate.
Currently there are 10 fire crews trying to contain the blaze, which is in the Tungamull area, but firefighters will not be able to protect every affected property, a Queensland Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson says.
Residents are being told not to expect a firefighter at their door.
Authorities are telling residents to be prepared to act on their bushfire plan.
At 9am the large bushfire was located in the area bordered by Coowonga, Hoffman and Keppel Sands roads.
The blaze is being driven south by strong winds and is moving so quickly that firefighters are finding it difficult to control.
Spot fires may occur ahead of the fire front as embers are being thrown from the fire.
Some residents in the area have already gone to work and authorities are urging these people to note they are located in a risk area and to take appropriate actions.
If you live in this area call 4922 1130 to advise authorities if your home is occupied or not and what bushfire preparations have been undertaken.
Well-prepared and defended homes can offer safety during the fire and may be defendable.
Residents should consider taking precautionary measures, including:
- Put on protective clothing
- Drink lots of water
- Move cars to a safe location
- Close windows and doors and shut blinds
- Bring pets inside and restrain them (leash, cage or secure room) and provide water
- Wet down fine fuels close to buildings
- Remove garden furniture, doormats and other items
- Seal all gaps under doors and screens
- Fill containers with water (bath, sinks, buckets, wheelie bins, etc)
- Have ladders ready for roof space access (inside) and against roof (outside)
- Have generator or petrol pump ready
- Check and patrol outside for embers and extinguish any spot fires and seek shelter as teh fire front arrives.
Residents should call triple-0 if their property comes under threat or if they observe any suspicious activity.