Father and son face jail over bashing

A FATHER and son were found guilty in Gympie Magistrates Court yesterday of bashing a man at the Southside tip and leaving him in a "pool of blood".

The verdict was delivered following hours of evidence from witnesses and experts on Tuesday. John Robert Scott, 61, of Woolooga and his son Jason Robert Scott, 39, of Gympie will be sentenced next month.

Each man faces jail for the assault in company that left the victim with two black eyes, a gashed cheek and bruised ear, torso and back.

The court heard John Scott attacked the man in the tip shop because he had "touched up his missus" some months previously.

Prosecution said John Scott punched the victim five to 10 times, before his son grabbed the man from behind, causing him to fall.

It was found the pair then kicked, punched and stomped on the man, leaving him in a pool of blood.

Both John and Jason Scott denied touching the victim, implying his injuries were sustained from tripping over, bashing into things and climbing a fence while "unsteady on his feet."

Magistrate M. Baldwin said there were too many discrepancies in the details given by the Scotts, including Jason's wife, a witness, who "seemed to be making the story up as she went".

Magistrate Baldwin noted John Scott's lack of plausibility and Jason Scott's appearance as a witness as neither credible nor honest.

She said the victim's testimony was consistent, as was that of a tip shop volunteer who heard the commotion and saw the father and son leaving the scene in a hurry.

The magistrate adjourned sentencing to November 3, allowing the offenders, who are unrepresented, time to make a case for sentencing.

Gympie Times


Junior sports team scores 167 goals on way to title

premium_icon Junior sports team scores 167 goals on way to title

Bluebirds Blue go through 2018 season undefeated

Shark attack victim in critical condition, rushed to surgery

Shark attack victim in critical condition, rushed to surgery

RACQ CQ Rescue is en-route to Cid Harbour again

CQ victims of 'real-life horror movie' may get $150k compo

premium_icon CQ victims of 'real-life horror movie' may get $150k compo

MP backs new redress scheme for victims of institutional sex abuse

Local Partners