Gone in minutes: Fire leaves a family homeless
TUESDAY, 5AM: An Ipswich house has been gutted after a massive fire engulfed it in minutes.
The blaze on Park St in central Ipswich has left a family homeless after firefighters battled to save surrounding properties.
Before midday yesterday the house caught fire with neighbours reporting hearing popping noises before smelling smoke and seeing flames.
According to firefighters while the fire was not being treated as suspicious the level of damage was so severe a cause was unlikely to be found.
Fire crews arrived less than eight minutes after receiving the call to action but were forced on the defensive immediately due to the ferocity of the fire.
The fire is believed to have started in the rear corner of the house.
Nobody was inside the home at the time.
One neighbour said she heard a "whooshing" noise before running outside to see the fire.
She said she tried to see if anyone was home but the fire was already too intense.
Ipswich man John Paton said he and friends were driving past on Warwick Rd when they smelled smoke and turned to investigate.
"We saw the house on fire and heard gas bottles exploding," he said.
One neighbour said he heard a popping noise and thought someone had popped a blow-up pool.
"I ran outside to see and the back corner of the next door house was up in flames," he said.
Police blocked off the street and evacuated the area, telling people to avoid breathing in the smoke with asbestos inside the house.
Firefighters hosed down neighbouring properties and prevented the blaze spreading along the street.
UPDATE, 2PM: Queensland Fire and Emergency Services report that the house fire on Park St, Ipswich, is now contained and crews are dampening down.
The Fire Investigation Unit has been called out to examine the scene.
12PM: Five Queensland Fire and Emergency Services crews are currently on scene at a house fire located at Park Street, Ipswich.
Crews were called around 11.45am and arrived to find a single storey timber structure well involved in fire.
Four firefighters in breathing apparatus are working to protect a nearby property and extinguish the blaze.
All persons are accounted for.
Emergency services have moved to block off sections of Warwick Rd.
IN TODAY'S QT ...
ON QT FACEBOOK ...