Oil on stove causes fire in Alexandra St home

1.20pm: EMERGENCY services were called to a kitchen fire at a North Rockhampton home on Alexandra St about 11.25am.

The kitchen caught fire due to oil cooking on the stovetop which then caused the fire to travel up into the exhaust fan.

Queensland Fire and Emergency Services station officer Bruce Ogle said a small amount of damage had occurred to the property.

"We had fat on the fire which went up into the exhaust fan and caused a small amount of damage," he said.

"Emergency services were called by triple zero and the household attacked the fire with dry powder chemical extinguishers. 

"The male person suffered minor injuries and has been taken to hospital for further medical treatment."

The Bulletin understands a neighbour seen the flames coming from the back door and took the fire extinguisher over to the property.

11.30am: ONE person is being treated by ambulance officers at the scene where fire was started by a welder in Alexandra Street.

Emergency services were called to the scene a short time ago and found the fire extinguished upon arrival.

It is believed a man is being treated for burns to the face, legs and chest.



Rising power costs force iconic club to close

premium_icon Rising power costs force iconic club to close

They've beaten floods and age but this one battle they couldn't win

Mount Morgan mine tours sadly finishing end of the month

premium_icon Mount Morgan mine tours sadly finishing end of the month

Safety concerns bring to an end a 12 year era of tourism

Great Barrier Reef gateway major shopping centre for sale

premium_icon Great Barrier Reef gateway major shopping centre for sale

Complex is anchored by a Coles Supermarket and sold for $28m in 2016

Local Partners