Fire-lighting charge goes to court

A MAN charged with lighting a fire in North Rockhampton during our worst bushfire season last year is due to appear in Rockhampton Magistrates Court on January 25.

Jason Scott Bellert, 36, is charged with contravening a local fire ban on October 28, after police caught him allegedly lighting a fire with dry leaves.

When first charged, police said Bellert was caught after a member of the public called in the suspicious activity.

He allegedly said he was trying to keep himself warm.

During October and November hundreds of people living in the suburbs of Lakes Creek, Frenchville and Norman Gardens were evacuated from their homes as a bushfire swept across the Berserker Ranges.



Teen killed on notorious crash stretch

Teen killed on notorious crash stretch

Young Mackay region man pronounced dead at the scene

Good Samaritans rush to help Rocky crash victims

Good Samaritans rush to help Rocky crash victims

Driver tells what was to blame in his only crash in '76 years'

What do you get with The Morning Bulletin's Premium deal?

What do you get with The Morning Bulletin's Premium deal?

Today we move to a Premium online digital subscription product.

Local Partners