Fishing mate shot with arrow

ANGRY after fighting with his fishing mate, Clifford Andrew Coverdale grabbed his bow and arrow and waited patiently for his revenge.

Coverdale had the loaded bow in one hand and held four spare arrows in the other.

When he saw his friend walking down the street, he lined him up and fired, striking him straight through the upper left thigh.

Yesterday Coverdale, 41, was sent to prison for four years for his “despicable act”.

He pleaded guilty in the Rockhampton District Court to grievous bodily harm from the attack in Yeppoon on September 26, 2007.

Crown prosecutor Shaun Gordon said the argument between friends started on a fishing trip to Ross Creek.

Mr Gordon said during the fishing expedition the complainant became agitated and started lashing out.

Twice Coverdale gave his friend a Valium tablet to calm him down but it didn’t work.

Eventually they left together.

Half way home in the car, Coverdale slammed on the brakes of his car and an argument again erupted on the side of the road.

Coverdale grabbed a lump of wood from his car and said, “Come on (expletive) I’ll take you on”.

The victim proceeded to start walking home and Coverdale drove off.

Mr Gordon said by the time the victim got back to Coverdale’s house, Coverdale was waiting for him with the bow and arrow.

The victim required surgery to remove the arrow from his thigh and if left untreated could have resulted in loss of function to his leg.

He now has a small limp and endures constant pain.

“It was sheer good luck the injury wasn’t life-threatening as it was near a major artery,” Mr Gordon said.

“There is no place whatsoever to use a weapon like that in a public place.”

Defence barrister Jeff Clarke said Coverdale had a good work history, including as a kitchen hand and volunteering for the SES and fire and rescue.

He said his client did not dispute the facts presented and had co-operated with police during their investigation.

Mr Clarke said Coverdale and the victim have remained friends.

Coverdale was sentenced to four years prison, to be suspended after serving 16 months.

Mount Morgan mine tours sadly finishing end of the month

premium_icon Mount Morgan mine tours sadly finishing end of the month

Safety concerns bring to an end a 12 year era of tourism

Rising power costs force iconic club to close

premium_icon Rising power costs force iconic club to close

They've beaten floods and age but this one battle they couldn't win

Excitement mounts for St. Peter's Caulfield Cup

Excitement mounts for St. Peter's Caulfield Cup

Rockhampton Jaguar Land Rover on board to sponsor the event

Local Partners