The Fitzroy River hits 24.1 metres at Riverslea this morning
THE Fitzroy River at Riverslea hit 24.1m this morning as Rockhampton braces for an 8m plus flood on Saturday .
Riverslea recorded a flood peak of 27.38m in the 2011 flood which reached 9.2 metres in Rockhampton.
The Bureau of Meteorology issued a flood warning update at 8.42am saying renewed rises and moderate flood levels were occurring along the Fitzroy River between The Gap and Laurel Bank as upstream flood water arrives.
River levels at Rockhampton remain steady at 6am with moderate flood levels at 7.55 metres.
River levels are expected to remain around this level for several days before rising later this week as upstream flood waters arrive.
A peak forecast will be provided once upstream peaks are recorded however 8.35m has been widely reported as a possible peak on Saturday night.
The major flood level for Rockhampton is 8.5m.
Flood levels are easing in the Connors and Isaac Rivers. Major flooding continues in the lower Dawson River. Moderate flood levels continue in the Fitzroy River. No significant rainfall is expected over the catchment over the coming days.
Connors and Isaac Rivers:
Minor to moderate flood levels will continue to ease on the Connors River at Pink Lagoon and on the Isaac River at Yatton.
Major flood levels continue to rise at Coolmaringa and are expected to peak during Tuesday. Major flood levels continue to rise at Riverslea, where at 6am Tuesday the level was 24.11 metres.
Flood levels along the Don River at Rannes will fall below the moderate flood level during Tuesday morning and will continue to ease over the next few days.
Minor flood levels are rising in the Upper Dawson River at Taroom and are likely to exceed the moderate flood level during Tuesday. Flood levels are easing between Woodleigh and Moura, but renewed rises to minor flood levels are expected between Theodore and Moura during the week. Major flood levels continue between Baralaba and Newlands.
Predicted River Heights/Flows:
Tartrus: River levels are now expected to be easing (last observation received 6:30am Saturday).
Baralaba: Major flood levels are expected to be easing after a peak estimated to be around 13 metres.
Rockhampton: Remain around 7.5 metres. Further rises will occur during this week, with a peak likely over the weekend. A peak forecast will be provided once upstream peaks have been observed.
For the latest weather forecasts see: www.bom.gov.au/qld/forecasts
The next warning will be issued by 5pm Tuesday.
Latest River Heights:
Location, Height of River, Date/Time of Observation
- Dawson R at Utopia Downs, 2.26m falling, 8am today.
- Juandah Ck at Windamere, 2.38m falling, 8am today
- Dawson R at Taroom, 5.28m rising, 8am today
- Dawson R at The Glebe, NA, NA
- Dawson R at Theodore, 6.91m steady, 9am today
- Dawson R at Moura, 7.9m falling, 6am today
- Mimosa Ck at Redcliffe, 2.73m falling, 7am today
- Dawson R at Baralaba, NA, NA
- Dawson R at Beckers, 14.97m steady, 7am today
- Dawson R at Knebworth , NA, NA
- Mackenzie R at Bingegang Weir HW, 6.8m steady, 6:53am today
- Connors R at Pink Lagoon, 7.58m falling, 7am today
- Isaac R at Yatton, 15.12m falling, 4am today
- Mackenzie R at Tartrus , NA, NA
- Fitzroy R at Riverslea, 24.11m rising, 6am today
- Fitzroy R at Rockhampton, 7.55m falling slowly, 6am today