TWENTY years ago you'd be laughed at for having a healthy dedication to computer games. Now it's bigger than Hollywood and taking the classier elements with it.
The Queensland Symphony Orchestra has decided to take over where the blips and bleeps of MIDI speakers and poorly-compressed electronica have left off by presenting gaming's landmark orchestral compositions in full force.
In Video Games Unplugged: Symphony of Legends the QSO will play music from some of the greatest games ever made in a concert hosted by gaming funny men Kris Straub (Chainsawsuit, Starslip) and Paul Verhoeven and conducted by Philip Chu.
The concert will include music from The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Uncharted 2 & 3, God of War and Diablo III, Final Fantasy VII, Halo and all new arrangements from Journey, Heavy Rain, BioShock 2, Assassins Creed II, World of Warcraft, StarCraft II, Secret of Mana, Civilization IV and many more.
A massive screen will also showcase specially edited and timed visual packages from the games and while the QSO will shine orchestral, the Taikyo Drums take a starring role.
The composer of Journey Austin Wintory is attending the show and conducting his pieces. He is the second person ever to receive a Grammy nomination for a video game soundtrack (the first person was Christopher Tin with Civilization IV, which will also be featured in the concert).
The event includes the world premiere of Heavy Rain (Corbeil ) the Australian Premieres of both Nascence from Journey (Wintory) and I Was Born For This from Journey (Wintory).
Heavy Rain: The composer Normand Corbeil was working on an arrangement of themes from this award winning game for the concert before his passing. Normand's sons were keen to see his music performed (as it hadn't been done live before) and so Andrew Pogson (MSO) worked with a local arranger to finish the small suite. This will be a World Premiere.
Journey: The music from Journey has won many awards and was the second soundtrack in gaming history to receive a Grammy nomination. As above, the composer Austin Wintory will be attending.
Civilization IV - Baba Yetu: Composed by Christopher Tin, this soundtrack was the first ever game to win a Grammy and thus holds a special place in video game music history as confirmation that music from games was gathering wide spread acceptance in the mainstream.
VIDEO GAMES UNPLUGGED - SYMPHONY OF LEGENDS
7pm, Saturday 23 November at the Brisbane Convention and Exhibition Centre, tickets at Ticketek 132 849
- O'DONNELL Main Theme from Halo
- TANAKA Gravity Daze
- BROWER A Tenuous Pact from World of Warcraft
- BROWER The Hyperion Overture from StarCraft 2
- SCHYMAN Suite from Bioshock 2
- EDMONSON Atlantis of the Sands from Uncharted III
- EDMONSON Nate's Theme from Uncharted II
- VELASCO The Isle of Creation from God of War II
- UEMATSU One Winged Angel from Final Fantasy VII
- TIN Baba Yetu from Civilisation IV
- KIKUTA Angel's Fear from Secret of Mana II
- KYD Ezio's Family from Assassin's Creed II
- BROWER Legacy of Terror from Diablo III
- CORBEIL Heavy Rain - World Premiere
- WINTORY Nascence from Journey - Australian Premiere
- WINTORY I Was Born for This from Journey - Australian Premiere
SOULE Dragonborn Theme from Skyrim
Conductor Phillip Chu
Host Kris Straub (Chainsawsuit, Starslip)
Host Paul Verhoeven