Man jailed for raping niece

AN UNCLE who repeatedly raped his niece from when she was eight- to 12-years-old has been sentenced to eight years jail.

The 30-year-old man, who was aged between 22 and 27 at the time of offending, began raping the girl when he moved to live with her family at Bellbird Park and then Goodna between 2003 and 2008.

Ipswich District Court heard the man told the girl: "Don't tell mum and dad or we'll get into trouble."

When the girl was 10 she was using a computer to do her homework and the man put on pornography and held her head to the screen.

Crown prosecutor Sarah Farnden told the court the uncle would follow his niece to her room and despite her struggling and resisting he would rape her.

When the girl told him she wanted to tell her parents what he'd done, he said not to or she'd be the one to get in trouble.

The court was told the girl finally told a friend what had happened about 18 months after the last rape.

Ms Farnden said the girl was watching the movie Once Were Warriors, and the scene where a young girl was raped by her uncle brought all the memories back.

The court heard when the girl told her mother about the assaults it "broke her heart" and police were contacted.

They arrested the man on November 27, 2010.

The man pleaded guilty to five counts of rape, two counts of indecent treatment of a child and one count of exposing a child to a pornographic film.

He was sentenced to eight years in jail and will be eligible for parole on November 26, 2013.

The court took into account his plea of guilty and 384 days of pre-sentence custody.

The man's defence barrister said his client had been sexually assaulted by his own uncle when he was a child.

The barrister said the man thought of the girl as his girlfriend but was extremely remorseful and made full admissions when questioned.



Not so cruisy: Schwarten busted for speeding

premium_icon Not so cruisy: Schwarten busted for speeding

Former Rockhampton MP pleads guilty to driving offence

Government to put over $200k into two CQ sporting facilities

premium_icon Government to put over $200k into two CQ sporting facilities

MOVE IT Aus Community Sport grant to help CQ kids be more active

‘Disgraceful’: Telstra hits back over disaster texts

‘Disgraceful’: Telstra hits back over disaster texts

“Telstra is making money out of this and it’s not appropriate"

Local Partners