Glenda Mather says she has reservations about developments
I HAVE reservations over the extent of the proposed development/s released so far, due to several factors.
- The loss of car parks along Anzac Pde foreshore, despite the plan to remedy this with the multi-story car park.
- Over-development of the area.
- The limited space which is intended to accommodate a multitude of recreational/ commercial possibilities - which are unknown at this stage.
- The pressure to remove/relocate the council chambers (a major cost).
- The pressure to re-design/construct traffic flows impacting on the CBD.
- Unknown total costs to the ratepayers.
- Unknown on-going maintenance costs.
Spending five years trying to amalgamate four councils, then go through the separation process to re-establish Livingstone to its former self, was a test of physical and mental stamina.
The rebuilding of the shire, and the confusion to the ratepayers is not to be underestimated. Now almost two years in the making, we can begin a new era.
While rebuilding the shire, the devastation caused by TC Marcia has caused yet another setback.
Only the resilience of the people, aided by the dedicated staff and personnel from government agencies has brought us through.