HEAT WAVE: Market worker fighting for life
A GOLD Coast woman is in a critical condition after suffering a cardiac arrest during extreme heat at Helensvale's NightQuarter last night.
A Queensland Ambulance Service spokesman said the 45-year-old woman, who works at NighQuarter Helensvale, collapsed about 5.30pm yesterday.
Senior Operations Supervisor Luke Wyatt said a "multitude of crews" responded to the incident.
The woman is believed to have been working in a shed, in hot conditions, when she collapsed.
It is understood the woman had an underlying medical condition, which paramedics believe was brought on due to the heat.
Mr Wyatt said crews worked on the woman at the scene, before rushing her to the Gold Coast University Hospital, in a code one, critical condition.
"It appears she was working at the market but we are not sure where, there are just reports that the woman had been working in the heat throughout the day," he said.
"The temperature is a huge factor as well as the amount of time she spent in it. As well as the activity she was doing."
The mercury soared to close to 40C in some Gold Coast suburbs today and yesterday.
Queensland Ambulance said the 45-year-old who collapsed was among three who suffered extreme heat stress last night at the Helensvale markets.
"We had a total of three heat related cases in that same area including a female in her mid-30s who fainted and someone in their mid-60s who also suffered heat related symptoms," Mr Wyatt said.
NightQuarter director Michelle Christoe said the markets were a close-knit community.
"A popular vendor suffered a heart attack prior to opening the market, two of our senior first aid officers were on the scene immediately and administered CPR, which continued until the paramedics arrived," she said.
"It is a close-knit community at NightQuarter and we are concerned about our vendor and her family ... so appreciate their privacy.
"We remain in contact monitoring her condition and are supporting the family through this difficult time.
"The incident was highly distressing for all vendors and our Management team, we wish her a speedy recovering and our thoughts are with her at this time.
"NightQuarter takes all first aid incidences seriously. It is our procedure that if a person's illness or injury requires further attention, that we err on the side of caution and get Queensland Ambulance services involved and give first aid until paramedics arrive."
Ms Christoe said it was unusually hot.
"NightQuarter is an Outdoor venue, most containers are fitted out with air conditioning and fans to address heat and 70 per cent of the site is covered with shade structures," she said. "Bars have free water available on the front counters and security were handing out free water to patrons across the site to address the heat.
"Last night we called Queensland Ambulance services for three incidents. This was highly unusual and unfortunate.
"Causes for their conditions have not been confirmed to NightQuarter. In two of the cases, we were advised that they had pre-existing medical conditions."