Health industry warns against neknominate fad online
CQ MEDICARE local deputy chair Dr Ewen McPhee said alcohol was a poison and sculling large doses of fortified liquor could overload the body's respiratory centres leading to coma, cessation of breathing and death.
"Emergency departments right across this country are full of the aftermath and destruction that alcohol-fuelled fun entails," he said.
He also spoke of the dangers of social media.
"What goes online stays online, forever.
"It is the norm now for employers to do a Google search on any prospective employee, and often 'harmless fun' can lead to loss of a plum job."
Dr McPhee said for Mary Brown it was a hard lesson she would carry for the rest of her life.
But he said she was brave to talk about it and he hoped others would learn from the incident.
Central Queensland liquor enforcement and proactive strategies officer Sgt Paul Bennett said though effectively Neknominate wasn't illegal, it amounted to peer group pressure and could lead to death.
He said rock star Amy Winehouse had gone on a three-day drinking binge when she died with a blood alcohol content of 0.3%.
"The safe guidelines for drinking alcohol are two standard drinks a day or no more than four standard drinks in a sitting," he said.