Hopes go up in smoke as Bundy charity shed burns
A BUNDABERG charity devoted to helping those in need has been dealt a crisis of its own after tonnes of furniture, clothing and toys were destroyed when a storage shed went up in flames.
Witnesses spotted smoke billowing from the shed on Burrum St, at the old showgrounds, about 3pm Saturday.
The shed was being used as a storage facility for the Salvation Army and was filled with the donated goods left over following the 2013 flood.
Tom Quinn Community Centre manager Tom Osborne said the loss was "devastating" and nothing was able to be salvaged.
"We pride ourselves on helping people in a crisis," he said.
"Now we have a crisis of our own."
Parts of Maryborough and Burrum Sts were cordoned off as thick black smoke swallowed the roadway.
Mr Osborne said much of the shed's contents had been set aside for families in need.
"The stuff that had been set aside to give to people has gone up in smoke," he said.
"The community will want to help - cash is the better option to help at this point."
Bundaberg Criminal Investigation Branch Senior Constable Nathan Lucy said the scene of the blaze was guarded overnight and it had not yet been determined whether the fire had been deliberately lit.
"Police are appealing for anyone who may have any information in relation to the fire to come forward," he said.
If you have any information in relation to the fire, call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or police on 4153 9111.
If you would like to donate to the Salvation Army, call 4153 3557.