Reece Aaron Markus Hallam pulled a gun on another driver.
Reece Aaron Markus Hallam pulled a gun on another driver. Pixabay

'I'll blow your head off': Mackay man pulls gun on driver

AFTER veering his four-wheel drive to a violent stop and cutting off another car, Reece Aaron Markus Hallam leapt from the driver's seat.

He was drunk and armed with a .22 calibre semi-automatic rifle.

"I'll blow your head off. You're not so smart now, are you?" he sneered at the man he intercepted, who'd hopped out of his car to confront Hallam.

Hallam marched within two metres of his terrified victim, who could see down the barrel of the gun as the Marian man's finger rest on the trigger.

Jumping back into his ute, Hallam's victim made a hasty escape, fearing for his life, a court was told.

Later on July 16 - following the road rage incident about 7.20pm on Marian-Hampden Rd in Hampden - police were told Hallam was threatening to take his own life.

They rushed to Murray Creek Boat Ramp at Mt Pelion, finding Hallam inside his four-wheel drive.

Hallam's car was stopped with a tyre deflation device, he was arrested and officers found the unlicensed long barrel semi-automatic rifle in his car's rear cab, complete with 72 rounds of ammunition and a 30-round capacity magazine.

The 26-year-old blew 0.169 back at the police station - more than three times the legal alcohol limit for driving.

The chain of events landed Hallam in Mackay Magistrates Court on Monday (after 71 days in jail), where he pleaded guilty to four charges, represented by solicitor Rosie Varley, of Morton Lawyers.

That included going armed to cause fear, unlawful possession of a category D weapon, possessing unauthorised explosives (ammunition) and driving drunk.

Prosecutor Bernhard Berger provided the agreed facts of the case to Magistrate John Aberdeen, and a statement from the victim.

"He has come to within about two metres of me and at that point I've recognised the driver of the vehicle was holding a firearm," the statement reads.

"He was pointing it at my face. I could see the hole at the end of the barrel. I could also see that he had his finger on the trigger."

Meanwhile, Hallam's defence lawyer said her "very remorseful" client had been diagnosed with depression and wanted to address his alcohol use, after a string of deaths in his family.

Ms Varley described Hallam as a mining worker with a partner and young daughter who had the support of his family - some of whom watched on from the public gallery.

Hallam was "severely intoxicated" on July 16, Ms Varley noted, though the magistrate said that was approaching an aggravating factor.

Ms Varley also submitted the rifle was found unloaded by police following the "very serious sort of road rage", and there was no evidence suggesting it had been loaded.

A stack of positive references were tendered in Hallam's favour, and Ms Varley added her client made an early, timely guilty plea.

There was lengthy discussion between the magistrate and the lawyers about the best way for Mr Aberdeen to sentence Hallam, considering precedent cases.

Probation and a partly suspended sentence were discussed as possible options.

Mr Aberdeen stood down the case for consideration, with a view to complete the sentence by the end of the week.

Charity partner for Rockynats revealed

Premium Content Charity partner for Rockynats revealed

Tickets are still available online for the event to be held in Rockhampton over...

Car veers off road in South Rockhampton crash

Premium Content Car veers off road in South Rockhampton crash

A male teen is being assessed by paramedics

100 to travel from ‘Rocky to the Rock’ on Uluru flight

Premium Content 100 to travel from ‘Rocky to the Rock’ on Uluru flight

Six Rockhampton Rotary members will take their baton on board to celebrate their...