Injured miner suing Anglo says work area was unsafe

A CENTRAL Queensland miner who permanently injured his spine when the dozer he was reversing dropped more than 1.5m down a rock face is suing the company for $1.3 million.

The miner, who worked at Biloela's Anglo Coal Callide Mine, is making the claim due to physical and permanent damages after the accident.

In his claim, he said he had been operating a dozer in the steep key cut of a dragline work area on February 1, 2008.

The work required the man to rip out rock surfaces before the dragline removed the material.

He claimed when he was reversing his dozer, the machine slipped and dropped, while the miner's neck and body were twisted to his rear, as he was looking back behind him while reversing.

He sustained an injury to his cervical spine which has impacted the man's ability to work as a plant operator in the long-term.

He claimed the mine company's failure to provide a safe work place and a properly designed drill pattern contributed to the injuries from his accident.

The miner also claimed the company neglected to properly drill blast holes to prevent large rock being created by the blasting process.

The worker claimed $1.26 million in damages.

The company was given 10 days to respond to the claims.



Livingstone mayor ramps up calls for GKI federal funding

premium_icon Livingstone mayor ramps up calls for GKI federal funding

Revitalising GKI is worth 1,500 jobs but lacks a business case.

Margaret eyes off Mayoral spot again

premium_icon Margaret eyes off Mayoral spot again

REVEALED: Motorsports facility and sports hub are in discussions at council

Ambos attend CQ school twice as bullies attack

premium_icon Ambos attend CQ school twice as bullies attack

Family deal with ‘sad situation’ after shocking start to school year