It's party time on Australia Day
THE Rockhampton region is set for a humdinger of a day tomorrow with Australia Day celebrations set to go ahead come rain, hail or shine.
A spokeswoman for the Rockhampton Regional Council yesterday said wet weather contingencies were in place for Australia Day events to be staged in Gracemere, Mount Morgan and at the Rockhampton Heritage Village.
First-time market stall holder Michelle Boswood, of Hummer Luxury Limo CQ, said while the weather was a bit worrying she was looking forward to displaying the deluxe vehicle at the Heritage Village.
"Unless the rain's really set in we'll be fine," she said.
"We'll weather the storm like everyone else."
As for Yeppoon, Cr Bill Ludwig said nothing would dampen their Aussie spirit.
"We will run as much of the program as possible," he said.
"We have an additional cover over the main stage and for the first time we will have two marquees over sections of the amphitheatre where the audience sits."
Cr Ludwig urged people to bring rain coats, umbrellas and most importantly, a positive attitude.
"Fingers crossed there will be a break from the weather," he said.
"Hopefully the rain will go where it's needed and it's certainly not needed at the coast this Thursday."
AUSTRALIA DAY EVENTS
Beach Party program (Yeppoon)
- 8am: Foreshore markets
- 10am: Keppel Bay Sailing Club Sailing Fun Day
- 10am: Teachers Incorporated
- 10.15am: Dance Infusion
- 10.45am: Dan Miller
- 10.55am: Katherine's Academy of Dance and Theatre Arts
- 11.25am: Dan Miller
- 11.45am: Janelle's Academy of Dance
- 12pm: Teachers Incorporated
- 12.30pm: CCCYC Sail-Past
- 12.50pm: Dolphin Line Dancers
- 1pm: Sam Angelico Magic
- 1.30pm: Grandpa Billy and Miss H
- 2pm: Industry of Kool
- 2.30pm: Mirror Sand Sculpture Competition
- 2.30pm: Big Top High School Show
- 3pm: Bulletin Bare-Bottom Boat Regatta
- 3pm: Bob Pacey Bush Poet
- 3.10pm: Shoeless Joe
- 3.50pm: Big Top Clowns
- 4.15pm: Club 28
- 5pm: Niki Perrin Zumba
- 5.15pm: LA Modelling Beach Fashions
- 5.45pm: Dan Miller
- 5.55pm: Sand Sculpture Winners announced
- 6pm: KoolTones
- 6.45pm: Big Top Fire Show
- 7.15pm: Tri-Pod
- 7.45pm: Ergon Energy fireworks finale
- 8am to 1.30pm: Rockhampton Heritage Village Markets with live entertainment, rides for the kids and fun for all.
- 11am: Official Australia Day Awards and Citizenship Ceremony at the Barry St Community Hall.
- 12pm to 2.30pm: Free sausage sizzle and fun activities at Conaghan Park including cow horn blowing, Cooee, and thong throwing competitions, a backyard cricket game, face painting and a jumping castle.
- 9am to 12pm: Free sausage sizzle at the Big Dam with a flag raising ceremony, kids' rides, face painting, and live music.
Entry to all events is free.
For more info call the council Customer Service Centre on 1300 225577 or visit www.rockhamptonregion.qld.gov.au.