Kerr not impressed by Fibre to the Node
THE Morning Bulletin's tech columnist and Kerr Solutions owner Bruce Kerr said Fibre to the Node was not delivering the highest standard of internet to Australia.
"Fibre to the Node is an absolute compromise in speeds and reliability," he said. "The last several hundred metres of existing copper to the premise is where many of the faults and high maintenance lie (not in the main copper runs that are getting replaced).
"Fibre to the Node is already ballooning out in budget and has now far exceeded all estimates for the original Fibre to the Premise that the Labor Party put forward.
"Fibre to the Node is not a long-term solution like Fibre to the Premise was."
Fibre to the Node:
- Work started this week on technology at Port Curtis
- Allenstown and The Range set to be next
- Area under construction includes the Mater Hospital, Allenstown State School, The Cathedral College and Rockhampton Grammar School
- It also takes in areas around Murray Lagoon and Yeppen Lagoon
- It also takes in Victoria Pde to Fitzroy St and includes parts of Bolsover St, Denison St, Alma St and East St
- The technology will also roll out through Berserker, Depot Hill, Kawana, Park Avenue, Rockhampton City, The Common, Wandal and West Rockhampton