Sandra Thompson was delighted to recover some of her late mother's jewellery.
Sandra Thompson was delighted to recover some of her late mother's jewellery. Megan Lewis

Mum's jewellery found among embers

EVERY time Sandra Thompson now uses something in her home she remembers it once belonged to someone else.

It's not easy for her to forget why her home is filled with other people's possessions, but she will remain forever grateful.

Almost four weeks ago Sandra and her son William's rental home was destroyed by fire, leaving them with nothing - not even shoes.

However, the Rockhampton community immediately rallied around them to help rebuild their lives.

On Friday Sandra said she could not thank enough the people who had helped her. Some were complete strangers.

“It feels different and it'll take a while to make it feel like home because I don't have my things, but it's quite comfortable,” she said from her new rental home.

“There are so many people to thank.

“I just want them to know I really appreciate it.

“I don't really know what I would have done otherwise.”

On September 16, Sandra and William had awoken to find smoke billowing through their Macaree Street home.

Within minutes the entire structure was engulfed with flames and everything destroyed.

Fire officers confirmed the fire started with an electrical fault under the house.

However, Sandra did manage to save a few things from among the cinders.

William spent days scouring the charred debris for anything of value that might be left.

And Sandra was over the moon when some of her late mother's jewellery - especially her wedding and engagement ring - was found.

A set of saucepans was also recovered, and these took Sandra a whole week to clean.

“At least now we know they're ovenproof,” she said.

Among the businesses to help were Bunnings, who put up a temporary fence at their new home for their dog, “Tank”; Joyce Mayne and Samsung replaced her fridge and JB Hi-Fi and Lowes gave vouchers.

Everything else in her home - right down to the tea towels and cups - came from concerned friends, strangers and businesses.

Read more...

Family escapes fire but loses all

House fire heat woke neighbours

Fire victim rebuilds life




Anzac gunfire captured in stunning photograph

Anzac gunfire captured in stunning photograph

'The most amazing Anzac image that has ever been taken in Australia'

CQ community hero lives on in park naming

premium_icon CQ community hero lives on in park naming

'It didn't matter what time...if they got a call... he was there'

'Mayhem on the water' as boaties dodge craft in tight area

premium_icon 'Mayhem on the water' as boaties dodge craft in tight area

Extra car parks no solution to Yeppoon ramp congestion

Local Partners