Leagues club to support Comets
THE Rockhampton Leagues Club has agreed to bring funding forward to support the cash-strapped Central Comets.
It had been speculated Comets players faced the prospect of playing the remainder of the year without payment.
Following a pitch from Comets officials for further funding to the Rockhampton Leagues Club board on Thursday night the board “agreed to accelerate its existing funding and provide additional funding to the CQ Comets on a dollar-for-dollar basis with money received from the CQ Leagues Club”.
The move puts pressure on the CQ NRL Bid Club to also support the region’s current premier footy side.
CQ NRL Bid Club CEO Denis Keeffe yesterday afternoon said club officials were considering their response. Last night Comets chairman Scott Chapman said the advance from the Rockhampton Leagues Club would help the club move forward.
Chapman said internal changes meant the club had been late this year to start selling one of its big fundraisers, the 100s Club, and it was also waiting on travel reimbursements from the QRL.
He said the club was not “in dire straits”.
The Comets, who welcome back Broncos star Nick Kenny, take on Wynnum Seagulls tomorrow in a must-win clash.
The Wayne Barnett-coached side needs to win its remaining five games to have any chance of making this year’s Queensland Cup finals.
A statement issued by the Rockhampton Leagues Club yesterday said the funding advance would be in addition to the existing $200,000 sponsorship it provided the Comets.
“We are excited by the prospect that the Comets may achieve increased financial security and a higher level of sponsorship as a result of a sponsorship partnership between Rockhampton Leagues Club and the CQ Leagues Club.
“... It makes good sense for the CQ Leagues Club to assist the Comets until 2015 when CQ Leagues Club receive a full NRL licence, at which point the Comets will become the Queensland Cup feeder club to the CQNRL club.”