Road upgrade for 2500 homes to be built north of Rocky
A NEW four-way intersection with traffic lights on the Bruce Hwy will be the launching pad for a North Rockhampton housing project expected to create up to 2500 homes.
The Queensland Government yesterday approved $8m funding for the Rockhampton Priority Development Area project which includes a new entrance into CQUniversity linking Rod Laver Rd.
The intersection would also link with the old CSIRO complex which is part of the project PDA.
Deputy Premier and Minister for State Development and Planning Jeff Seeney said the government wanted to get the project started after it was approved in April, 2013.
"We recognised we needed to work with councils and the private sector to get projects moving - projects to provide the catalytic infrastructure needed to support development and create jobs," he said.
"In Rockhampton, we will partner with the Rockhampton Regional Council and Central Queensland University to fund a new four-way signalised intersection and the first stage of the main street for the CQU Rockhampton Priority Development Area.
"This will be a huge boost for the economy of Rockhampton and create new jobs for the city."
He said between 2000 and 2500 new homes, including a mix of detached houses, townhouses and units, would be built within the Priority Development Area over the next 10 to 15 years.
Member for Keppel Bruce Young said the announcement was a "shot in the arm" for the local economy.
Rockhampton Region Mayor Margaret Strelow said the project would unlock growth and open doors for new economic development opportunities.
"I welcome this funding as it signals strong confidence in the growth of our region," Cr Strelow (pictured) said.
"Council's decision to reduce our infrastructure charges was fundamental to the Government's decision-making. Our bold move is really paying off and we are reaping the benefits."
No start date has been advised for the intersection stage of the project.
The first section of a new street will extend from the current Rod Laver Rd in the CQU precinct to the Bruce Hwy (Yaamba Road).
- The four-way signalised intersection will be constructed at the juncture of this new street and the intersection of the Bruce Hwy.
- Covers 189 hectares and is located about 5km north of Rockhampton CBD in the suburbs of Norman Gardens and Parkhurst.
- The PDA comprises land owned by CQUniversity and the state and is situated on the CQU site and former CSIRO research facility.
- The locality is within the northern growth corridor for residential development.
- The PDA is bisected by the Bruce Hwy which runs north-south through the site.