Lloyd's fight's not over yet
LLOYD Willie was in a defiant mood yesterday.
The chief executive of Milbi Indigenous Hostel at Etna Creek said the organisation would definitely appeal against the council's rejection of expansion plans.
“It's not over yet,” he said. “We are going to make an appeal and we are not beaten.”
Mr Willie was in a packed public gallery on Tuesday at Rockhampton Regional Council when the issue was discussed for a fourth time.
Planning officers recommended approval of a plan to extend accommodation at the three hectare farm that offers a quit program for alcohol and substance abusers and advice on child safety and gambling addiction.
Councillors voted five to four against the proposal which attracted fierce opposition from Etna Creek home-owners.
Mr Willie said yesterday Milbi was looking at grounds for an appeal and if the protestors thought they had won, they were wrong.
“We own the land and they won't shift us,” he said.
Trevor Rufus, one of the leaders of a group that organised protest rallies against Milbi's expansion said the farm's neighbours were ready for a legal battle in planning court.
“We are very pleased with the outcome so far,” he said.
“The truth is the centre is operating by default.”