Man charged with torture

TORTURE, knives, death-threats and a shotgun dominated proceedings in Hervey Bay Magistrates Court on Friday.

A 37-year-old man appeared in custody, charged with serious allegations of deprivation of liberty, assault occasioning bodily harm and torture of a woman in the town of Clumber in south east Queensland.

The man was arrested in Burrum Heads last week, eight days after police were notified of the incident, but it was denied in court that he was trying to evade arrest.

Acting as an agent for the man's solicitor, local lawyer Justin Geldard said the accused had moved to the Fraser Coast to live with his ex-wife and four children.

Mr Geldard said the man was also concerned about the father of the victim of the alleged offences, who was said to be looking for him with a shotgun.

Mr Geldard applied for bail, saying the man would contest the charges and was not a risk of failing to appear for court as he had no history of doing so.

Police prosecutor Sergeant Michael Quirk said the charges against the man were serious enough to keep him in custody.

Sgt Quirk said the alleged facts included a high level of violence, including the use of a knife and threats to the victim's life if she contacted the police.

Sgt Quirk also scoffed at claims the man was not trying to evade police, pointing out he was arrested about 400km away from where the alleged offences took place.

Magistrate Tom Killeen said bail would be refused, due to the seriousness of the charges.

The case was adjourned until April 5, where it will continue in Ipswich Magistrates Court.

The man could not be identified due to a standing domestic violence order involving the alleged victim.



The future of Yeppoon's heart is at stake with this plan

premium_icon The future of Yeppoon's heart is at stake with this plan

Valuing and taking care of the cultural heart of Yeppoon

New attractions are bringing more buyers to the Cap Coast

premium_icon New attractions are bringing more buyers to the Cap Coast

Real estate market is picking up as more people are visiting town

Single father of five loses licence for next two years

premium_icon Single father of five loses licence for next two years

He pleaded guilty in the Rockhampton Magistrates Court on Tuesday

Local Partners