A man has been hospitalised after his legs caught alight during a beach fire in Byron Bay.
A man has been hospitalised after his legs caught alight during a beach fire in Byron Bay. John Towells

Man hospitalised after legs caught fire

A MAN has been treated at Byron Bay Hospital after suffering burns to his lower legs while in the vicinity of a fire.

Police and ambulance personnel were called to Belongil Beach in Byron Bay at 1.30am last Thursday when a group of males attempted to light a fire on the beach, despite total fire bans.

One of the males threw some methylated spirits onto the flames as an accelerant, however some of the liquid splashed on the victims legs.

His legs subsequently caught fire and caused burns.

The victim and witnesses have indicated they are not willing to disclose who threw the spirits onto the fire.



Steven Bradbury stops by Rocky on lager tour

Premium Content Steven Bradbury stops by Rocky on lager tour

The Olympian travelled across Central Queensland offering taste-testing...

Woman in hospital after North Rocky crash

Premium Content Woman in hospital after North Rocky crash

The crash occurred on Clifton Street and Ford Street.

Dad busted with drug utensils with crystal residue

Premium Content Dad busted with drug utensils with crystal residue

A former panel beater caring full-time for two of his children was busted with drug...