Man on way home from funeral in fatal crash, court hears
A TOWNSVILLE man allegedly fell asleep at the wheel driving along the Bruce Hwy and caused the death of a woman and a four-year-old boy.
Shane Anthony Singho, 48, pleaded not guilty in District Court in Mackay yesterday to the charge of dangerous operation of a vehicle causing the deaths of Sandra Patricia Clay and Jacob Daniel Friend.
Crown prosecutor Nathan Crane told the court that the issue in question was whether Singho had been driving dangerously in the minutes leading up to his falling asleep.
Defence barrister Bronwyn Hartigan made admissions that the woman had died of drowning and the boy had died from inhalation of blood.
Mr Crane said the defendant had driven from Townsville to Maryborough for a funeral, and on the day of the incident was returning home.
He said Singho had left Rockhampton with several passengers about 10.30pm on February 9, 2013 to return to Townsville.
Mr Crane said that just after 6.30am on February 10, 2013, Singho crashed into a creek near Gregory River, north of Proserpine.
Mr Crane said Singho had appeared to be tired and yawning, and that a Japanese couple had been following the car.
He said the couple, who would appear as witnesses in the trial, said Singho had been driving erratically.
Jacob's 21-year-old sister and former carer was the first witness to take the stand.
She told the court she'd been in the car with Singho when the crash occurred.
The woman said she'd woken about 6.30am when she "heard the noise when you go over the white lines".
She told the court she yelled "the brakes" as the vehicle crossed over the right side of the road onto grass.
Police officers also gave testimonies yesterday.
The trial is continuing.