Man speechless as fire destroys house
“FIFTEEN minutes and she was gone.”
Brett Turner was left struggling for words after watching his family home burn to the ground yesterday morning.
He was working with his wife in the back paddock when they saw smoke coming from their house at around 10am.
They immediately called for fire-fighters but the blaze engulfed their home at an alarming speed.
The house and everything in it was destroyed in minutes.
“Mate, it’s all gone. Everything I own is gone,” Mr Turner said. “I’ve lost the lot.”
Mr Turner was in a state of shock and devastation as he tried to comprehend what he and his family would do next.
“I don’t know,” he said. “I wouldn’t have a clue.”
“I’m standing here looking at my house and it’s gone.”
Three Queensland Fire and Rescue Service crews attended the scene of the blaze at Blackman Gap Rd, Colosseum (Miriam Vale), and fought hard to bring the fire under control.
Mr Turner’s home was already well alight when firefighters arrived and the house could not be saved.
Firefighters finally extinguished the flames at 2.30pm.
“I have photos of my (late) father in that house that are lost forever,” Mr Turner said.
“It’s all totally gone.”
“I’ve lost the whole lot.”
Mr Turner’s two sons were in school when the fire broke out and neither he nor his wife sustained any injuries.
The Turners had lived in that house for eight years.
“You wouldn’t want this to happen to anyone,” he said.
At the time of going to print, fire crews were still on the scene dampening down the site.
Police were in attendance.
Investigations as to how the fire orginally started are underway.