Man walks free from court twice in one week

STANLEY Stanley Jnr today walked free from the Rockhampton Court House for the second time in a week.

After a jury found the 48-year-old not guilty of murder on Wednesday, Stanley today pleaded guilty to nine historic property and assault-related charges in Rockhampton Magistrates Court.

The charges dated from November 2011 to March 2013 and included possessing dangerous drugs, possessing a knife in a public place, two assault occasioning bodily harm charges, breach of bail, wilful damage and three failing to appear charges committed in Rockhampton and Brisbane.

The court heard Stanley assaulted the same victim twice in November 2012.

Police prosecutor Clancy Fox said Stanley punched the victim in the face while he was playing gaming machines at the Petrie Hotel.

Stanley asked where his gear and his cousin's crab pots were, and the victim told Stanley they were in the river.

The court heard Stanley crossed paths with the victim the following day at Lawnton when he struck the victim across the face with a fishing rod as he lay on a bus stop bench. The strike broke the fishing rod.

Police intercepted Stanley again outside a Berserker pub in December 2012 when he was found with a pocket knife and cannabis.

Stanley was also charged with breaking a glass door at Bartlett's Tavern in November 2011 following an afternoon of drinking and gaming.

"I would describe his history as of violent offences," Mr Fox said.

Stanley was also charged with failing to report and failing to appear on four different occasions.

Defence lawyer William Prizeman told the court the assault victim and Stanley had issues over property.

"He had difficulties with the gentleman," Mr Prizeman said.

Magistrate Cameron Press told Stanley the two assault charges were unprovoked.

"You may have a history regarding property but that does not entitle you to hit a person with a fishing rod," Mr Press said.

Stanley was sentenced to six months in prison for the two assault charges, one month in prison for the drugs charge, one week in prison for the breach of bail charge, one month in prison for the wilful damage charge and one week in prison for each of the failing to appear charges.

All sentences were ordered to be served concurrently except for the three failing to appear charges.

Magistrate Press declared 213 days of pre-sentence custody with a parole date set immediately.

Gracemere beats Frenchville in cricket starter

premium_icon Gracemere beats Frenchville in cricket starter

GRACEMERE captain discusses season opener victory

The unsung heroes of PBR rodeos

premium_icon The unsung heroes of PBR rodeos

GRACEMERE Bullzye Protection Athlete discusses the tough sport

NITELIFE GALLERY: Fun times at Rockhampton clubs

NITELIFE GALLERY: Fun times at Rockhampton clubs

Check out this week's Nitelife gallery here

Local Partners