Manly boss refuses to be rushed as NRL seeks response
RUGBY LEAGUE: New Manly chief executive Lyall Gorman insists the Sea Eagles won't be rushed into responding to the breach notice issued to the club over alleged salary cap infringements.
Speaking for the first time since the NRL on Monday notified the Sea Eagles of the findings of a lengthy investigation, Gorman said the club had not had time to properly peruse documents pertaining to the potential breaches.
Gorman yesterday refused to be drawn on the preliminary findings, or proposed sanctions that could include a fine between six figures and $1million and a reduced salary cap for 2018.
"This investigation, as I understand it, took six months and we were only provided with the detailed document on (Monday afternoon),” Gorman (pictured) said. "There is a significant amount to work through. It's a process that can't be rushed a process that needs to be right to protect the best interests of all.”
The NRL said its investigation had found evidence of potential salary cap breaches over the past five years.
Show cause notices have also been issued to two current club officials asking them to explain why they should not have their registrations cancelled.
Gorman only began his role at the Sea Eagles last month and has to sift through the reams of documents.
"What we won't do is run own response through the media,” Gorman said.
"We will respect the protocol of the game. Once we have formed a detailed response, we will submit it through the appropriate channels.
"We are trying to do that as quickly as we can but also take the time to ensure our response is an appropriate one in context to what has been provided to us.”
In a statement on Monday, NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg said that, in accordance with NRL rules, the parties have been given five days to respond to the breach notices but, given the seriousness of the allegations, the NRL would consider a request for an extension of time.