Mason Lee death: Child safety workers face sack
CHILD safety workers could be sacked over the death of Caboolture toddler Mason Lee after a damning report found 'gross malpractice' and systemic issues within the department which was meant to protect him.
The Courier-Mail is reporting a secret, internal report found negligence within Caboolture's Child Safety Office.
Ethical standards investigations are expected to be launched into their actions.
Mason Lee was found dead at a Caboolture home on June 11.
An autopsy revealed a list of injuries going back months.
Protests, including public rallies, have been held amid revelations Mason, who was 21 months old, had been hospitalised and then sent back home before he died.
Queensland Health says doctors reported the alleged abuse to the Child Safety Department.
News Corp reports that Mason's family, together with the Minister for Child Safety Shannon Fentiman have been briefed on the report.
She is expected to announce "immediate action" including that at least two staff answer to internal investigators on whether they should keep their jobs.
Opposition Child Safety spokeswoman Ros Bates accused the government of keeping the report secret because the findings were so "politically explosive".
Earlier this year, Ms Bates voiced fears there will be another similar death because the department is under too much pressure.
"The fact that Mason was returned to his family is horrendous," she said.
A Right To Information request secured by the Opposition showed 46 per cent of children who are reported to the department are not seen within the 30-day timelines.
The Caboolture office received extra staff this year, and another 17 are to be employed across the state this year.