Mayweather fight slammed as inappropriate given DV history
NOTORIOUS domestic violence perpetrator Floyd Mayweather's $180 million boxing bout against Manny Pacquiao on Saturday continues to cause waves in Australia.
Monday evening's Q&A guests slammed the big fight as grossly inappropriate given the seven arrests and citations for domestic violence against the American boxer.
Australian philosopher and ethicist Peter Singer, Environment Minister Greg Hunt and American performance artist Adrienne Truscott blasted the promoters of the fight on national television.
"I do not know how a man who has that many counts of being convicted for that kind of violence, particularly somebody who has spent his entire life learning how to use his hands to be destructive...," Ms Truscott said.
"Seven counts against five women," Tony Jones (program host) said.
"Yes. It is incredibly shocking," Ms Truscott said.
Professor Singer said "the fight of the century" said a lot about society's approach to domestic violence.
"It tells us that we are not really taking this seriously enough and, you know, if it was someone who had attacked people because of their race, there's no doubt that he would be out of the sport," he said.
"Why is it that you can punch women and the sport doesn't out you?
"I mean, I guess it's because these sports are male sports and you're playing against, you're boxing or playing football against people of varying races but you're not doing it against women and so they don't get a say in the sport perhaps."
Mr Hunt said Mayweather was refused an Australian visa because of his actions and sporting organisations should make similar calls.
"He was deemed by the Australian Government to be unfit to enter Australia, so effectively we did ... ruled him out of our league," Mr Hunt said.
"We weren't going to allow him in. I am, frankly, surprised that any sport would allow somebody to have a history of violence, particularly domestic violence, like that and allow them to continue."
APN Regional Media has just completed an extensive four-week anti-domestic violence campaign in this newspaper and 11 other regional daily newspapers.
So far this year, 34 people have lost their lives as a result of familial assaults in Australia.