Mayweather rubbishes McGregor fight reports
BOXING: Floyd Mayweather has responded to a report he had agreed to fight Conor McGregor by insisting no deal has been made and he's happily retired.
The former pound-for-pound boxing champion released a statement on Wednesday after a UK newspaper reported details of a mooted megafight against the UFC superstar.
"There seems to be several rumours floating around media recently however, let the record show, there hasn't been any deals made in regards to a fight between myself and any other fighters," wrote Mayweather, a message posted to Twitter.
"I am happily retired and enjoying life at this time. If any changes are to come, be sure that I will be the first to let the world know."
It follows a report in the Irish Sun which indicated the pair had agreed to terms after a representative from McGregor's camp met Mayweather representatives in recent days.
The news came after McGregor cancelled a fan event in Ireland over the weekend, sighting a last minute schedule change that would require the UFC champion to head to Las Vegas.
McGregor's sudden switch saw the rumour mill again go into overdrive, however, it seems this time there's been significant progress.
A source close to the McGregor camp reportedly told the Irish Sun the deal for what would be the biggest fight in history has been struck.
"The contract hasn't officially been signed yet because of a third party holdup but all details have been agreed on," the source said.
"The fight could even be announced within two weeks."
Mayweather's statement contrasts with what he reportedly told ESPN's Stephen A Smith earlier on Wednesday.
"We're getting very, very close," the 39-year-old Mayweather told Smith.
While Mayweather is optimistic, he says nothing is guaranteed until contracts are signed. No timetable was given for the prospective boxing match.
"Real people are having real discussions," Nevada State Athletic Commission chairman Anthony Marnell told ESPN on Tuesday, "I'm also telling you my opinion as the NSAC chairman that a lot of things need to get done in order to see something like this come together because there are so many parties that want to get their hands on the pot.
"Maybe it will get figured out, but it's going to be hard when everyone is declaring they want $US100 million ($A131 million)."
Mayweather, a former five-division boxing champion who retired undefeated at 49-0 in 2015, said in January he believed the fight could happen after McGregor said he was determined to fight him.
The 28-year-old McGregor, the reigning UFC Lightweight Champion, obtained his California boxing licence in December.
UFC president Dana White offered McGregor and Mayweather a sum of $25 million each in January for a fight. Mayweather scoffed at the offer, saying White was "an (expletive) comedian."