PHOTOS: Accused double murderers Armstrong and Hong in court
WHAT WE KNOW:
- Police have charged two people over the murders of Chantal Barnett and Robert Martinez
- Daniel George Hong and Ian Robert Armstrong appeared in court this afternoon
- Police are still asking people to come forward with information
UPDATE 4PM: Daniel George Hong, 41, and Ian Robert Armstrong, 31, have appeared in Rockhampton Magistrate's Court this afternoon each charged with two counts of murder.
The case was adjourned until April 20.
No application for bail was made, and the men were remanded in custody.
EARLIER: TWO people arrested over the murders of Robert Martinez and Chantal Barnett are expected to be charged and appear in court later today.
Police say over 600 statements have been taken throughout the course of the investigation and over 3000 lines of inquiry have been followed.
Police say they are unable to comment on the motives behind the murders, but expect they will come out in court.
The two men, aged 41 and 31, were arrested in Rockhampton.
Police say they had spoken to the pair previously as part of the investigation.
"This doesn't bring their (victims) family members to them," Detective Inspector Darrin Shadlow told the media at the Rockhampton CBD Police Station.
"It is a bit of closure but they know it's a long process now through the court system.
"Community support has been massive and has been a great help for us."
Detective Inspector Damien Hansen, from the homicide squad, said this was the longest running investigation he had worked on.
"We make no apology for the length of time (taken to charge them), it has to withstand the scrutiny of the court," he said.
"We can't arrest someone with murder because we have a gut feeling."
The media heard the pair that have been arrested were monitored when they were persons of interest.
Police say the investigation has not been closed and they still seek assistance of any people who may have been in fear who may now come forward.
Anyone with information which could assist with this matter should contact Crime Stoppers anonymously via 1800 333 000 or crimestoppers.com.au 24hrs a day.
UPDATE: ROCKHAMPTON police will hold a press conference at 12.30pm today regarding the arrests of two men in relation to the murders of Chantal Barnett and Robert Martinez.
EARLIER: TWO people have been arrested in relation to the murders of two Rockhampton people three years ago.
Police this morning arrested two men aged 41 and 31 following the murders of Chantal Barnett and Robert Martinez in March 2013.
Today's arrests are the result of an extensive three year investigation conducted by the Rockhampton Criminal Investigation Branch and the Homicide Investigation Unit.
The investigation has also received significant input and support from the Crime and Corruption Commission.
During the course of the investigation police and Crime Stoppers have received a wealth of community support. Whilst acknowledging the importance of the arrests, detectives continue to seek information from the community, as the investigation will continue.
Members of the Barnett and Martinez families have been advised of the arrests.
Martinez Barnett murder case