THREE children had a miraculous escape after they suffered an electric shock while swimming in a pool in Florida.

Security footage released by police shows the youngsters paralysed by a current running through the water at an apartment complex in Hialeah.

Several people are shown in the pool when one little girl's body freezes after she grabs the handrail to leave the water.

Her shocked father leaps up from the steps to drag her to safety, receiving a shock himself in the process.

But another little girl remains frozen in the pool on the other side of the railing.

She is rescued by her grandfather, who also receives a shock.

A boy, who is not shown in the video, also suffered an electric shock.

All three children survived after being treated in hospital, following the incident on 27 April.

A preliminary investigation revealed that unconnected ground wires in the pool pump house had caused the water to been electrically charged, CBS Miami reported. This was despite the pool having passed two health department inspections last year.

Electricity causes the muscles to contract, making the body freeze and preventing the victim from disconnecting themselves from the circuit.

The pool has since been drained and closed.



UPDATE: Bruce Highway bridge needs repairs after truck crash

premium_icon UPDATE: Bruce Highway bridge needs repairs after truck crash

The wet weather caused the truck to aquaplane, hit the bridge and end up on its...

Nose to tail crash blocks lane of major Rocky road

premium_icon Nose to tail crash blocks lane of major Rocky road

Police are directing traffic around the scene of the crash.

Vehicles sideswipe each other in the Rockhampton CBD

premium_icon Vehicles sideswipe each other in the Rockhampton CBD

A person was hospitalised and the vehicles were “undriveable”.