More licence buy back offers on table for commercial fishers
THE Queensland Government is inviting more commercial net fishers to submit offers to buy back their licences following the success of the first round of invitations.
Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry Minister John McVeigh said the first round closed in January and resulted in a number of offers being accepted.
"In total, 104 applications were submitted, and so far 22 licence packages have been accepted for surrender by QRAA, totalling 71 symbols," he said.
"The offers were carefully considered according to current market value, which we committed to at the beginning of the process to ensure a level playing field for all fishers.
"The State Government has committed $9 million to the buyback, and we want to make sure as many commercial fishers as possible are able to take advantage of the offer."
Mr McVeigh said fishers had another chance to take advantage of the voluntary buyback with a second round of offers about to open.
The second invitation for offers will open on March 4 and close on March 28.
"We will again be focusing on primary commercial fishing boat licences endorsed with N1 or N2 fishery symbols, which authorise the use of commercial nets in Queensland's East Coast Inshore Fin Fish Fishery," Mr McVeigh said.
"Fishers who were unsuccessful or did not make an offer in the first round can reapply.
"QRAA is administering the scheme and can provide advice to fishers on how to submit an offer."
For further information, visit www.qraa.qld.gov.au or call QRAA on freecall 1800 623 946.