Range route to be reopened tomorrow after reconstruction
THE Mount Morgan Range will open tomorrow, 513 days after it was damaged by ex-tropical Cyclone Oswald in January last year.
The $21.7million reconstruction project has seen more than 70,000 tonnes of stabilising rock and materials used to secure the key route, which carries about 3000 vehicles a day.
Thirty-five landslips occurred along its length in the wake of Oswald.
Transport and Main Roads Minister Scott Emerson joined Member for Keppel Bruce Young to inspect the final touches on Wednesday.
"We have a strong plan for a brighter future and major reconstruction projects like these are part of that plan," Mr Emerson said.
"After nearly 18 months, I am pleased the Mount Morgan Range is open again, providing a major alternative for bussing kids to school or as a key freight route."
Mr Young said the damage was severe and commended the hard-working engineers and Transport and Main Roads crews for their enormous effort.
As well as the reconstruction works, complementary funding allowed for the full length of the range crossing to be resurfaced, and an extra guardrail to be installed to improve safety.