The damage caused to a house in Wandal by a fire overnight.
The damage caused to a house in Wandal by a fire overnight. Rachael Conaghan

Mozzie coil blamed for Wandal Rd blaze on Thursday morning

A MOSQUITO coil is believed to have caused a large house fire in Wandal, which a woman escaped by jumping out a window of the two-storey house.

Four fires crews responded to the rental property blaze on Wandal Rd about midnight on Wednesday and were at the scene until 3am yesterday to extinguish spot fires which reignited.

The house was reportedly well alight when crews arrived and yesterday serious damage could be seen through charred windows.

Family members gathered by the woman's side yesterday morning as she spoke to police outside the shell of the house.

They were prevented from entering because of asbestos concerns.

The fire was not considered suspicious.

Investigations wrapped up yesterday afternoon, and preliminary indications were that the coil had been left burning overnight.



From homeless drunk to potential community leader

premium_icon From homeless drunk to potential community leader

Joseph Hickson transformed his life after trying to strangle his dog

Man set to fight animal cruelty charges after horse attack

premium_icon Man set to fight animal cruelty charges after horse attack

Hearing date set for accused of Clydesdale fire extinguisher attack

Rocky man turns passion into a booming business

premium_icon Rocky man turns passion into a booming business

Liam Fahey started photography to supplement his meagre earnings

Local Partners